Welcome!

>> Friday, September 25, 2009

I think I will start with an introduction. My name is Joshin. My husband Mue and I are homeschooling are two boys, ages 4 and 9. There are many reasons a family chooses home education over public or private schooling. Ours is actually quite simple--we tried public school and were horribly let down by a system that no longers value education.

Our desire for our children is simple as well. We want them to be self-led learners that explore their world because they want to, not because they must pass some state mandated test. We want learning to be a passion that will help them achieve their goals in life, what ever those turn out to be. While we are planning for college, we don't see that as an absolute. It depends on their own passions and goals in life. We will not be holding their hands through all of adulthood, and unfortunately the school system today is breeding a generation of children that are ill-equipped for the adulthood that faces them outside the classroom doors. We do not want to raise our children to remain children, but to become adults that are still able to have a child-like wonder.

We are also Buddhist, which does put us on the opposite spectrum of many homeschoolers. Homeschoolers as a general rule fall into two camps--Christian and secular. We lean more to the secular side but we do integrate some of the most basic teachings of Buddha into our school days. We follow many of the educational theories of Charlotte Mason and classical education in our daily lessons.

My goal for this site is two-fold. The first goal is to form, slowly but surely, a repository of information on secular and non-Christian Charlotte Mason methodology. This will include book lists, a rudimentary scope and sequence, as well as my own thoughts and addendum. Our method is not completely Charlotte Mason, it is more CM-inspired but integrated with my own thoughts on what a good education consists of. I would like to provide a guide to home educators that are new to home schooling or to CM.

The second goal is to chronicle our own homeschool journey, both the ups and the downs. I am a writer by trade so my method of doing this is writing on a blog. I hope to inspire other families with our day to day activities, as well as give a realistic view of homeschooling with both the ups and the downs.

In the coming weeks, months and years this site will grow to become, I hope, a resource for those that need it. If you would like to learn more about me, please visit my other blog detailing my Buddhist journey. You can find that in the sidebar.

0 comments:

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP